Our Economic Development Unit works with a broad range of industry, business, community and government sectors, in addition to prospective investors to enhance sustainable economic and social outcomes for the regions prosperous future.
Two Regional Investment projects have occurred in the region, the Murraylands Region Investment Opportunities [RIO] and the Riverland Regional Prospectus. The priorities in these two projects found the framework of Economic Development in the region.
The target areas for the Murraylands Regional Investment Opportunities Project are:
1. Alternative energies
2. Education and skills training
3. Food processing – higher value-add
4. Horticulture, aquaculture, viticulture
6. Intensive animal production
7. Manufacturing and mining
9. Recreation and retirement
10. Transport logistics
12. Water use and re-use
The priorities for the Riverland Regional Prospectus are:
- Pre-retirement, retirement and immigration: increasing the number of people in pre-retirement and retirement living by a factor of 2.5
- Additional new food and beverage manufacturing: targeting outputs in excess of $100m
- Tourism: doubling the current visitor nights to 1.34m nights per annum
- Education: increasing by 5,000 the number of students attracted by key educational linkages and specialisation across quality secondary and tertiary providers
- Local business development: internal and external attraction of key businesses collectively increasing the gross regional output by $30m.